Allowance backdating

If you have already made a claim you can ask us separately about backdating.We need your request in writing and you must sign it.Your new code will reflect your new Personal Allowance and will end with ‘N’.

If you do claim for the current year and end up going over the £46,350 (£43,430 in Scotland) threshold, any underpaid tax would be recovered through a tax code change the following year. Although it's highly unlikely your application would be accepted if you weren't eligible, you still won't be fined. Your personal allowance will transfer automatically to your partner every year until one of you cancels the marriage allowance or you inform HMRC that your circumstances have changed, eg, because of divorce, employment pushing you into a higher-rate tax threshold, or death.If you are a pension age customer, we can sometimes backdate the start of your benefit to up to three months before the date you claimed.You do not need to tell us why you didn't claim sooner.We can sometimes backdate the start of your benefit (but not education benefits) up to one month before the date you claimed. This is not a conclusive list and you will be expected to explain your reasons fully and provide supporting evidence.If you have not yet applied for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you can request backdating your benefits on the application form by telling us why you have delayed making a claim.

Leave a Reply